Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Food World

The majority of the food I eat in Ghana comes from about a 20 km radius from my house. My family does compound farming or subsistence farming and really loves their millet based foods (they grow a lot of millet!).
I wanted to show you some of my favourite or most commonly eaten foods here in the Upper East. Please keep in mind these are only SOME of the many, many awesome things to eat in Ghana and this is what comprises the majority of my eating. With that said, welcome to my food world –

BREAKFAST

Bowl Fruit
My neighbor, Sister Clara, makes bowl fruit with my Grandma to generate small income. I love this fried dough and went along one night to help make it.





Gou-kaley
Often, Grandma and Evelyn will eat Gou-kaley (millet flower, ground peppe, shea butter and hot water all mixed up) for break instead of bowl fruit


The Ghanaian Travel Mug
Want your beverage “to go”? This is Nadia drinking tea at the tro station in Tamale. Tea here can mean a variety of beverages so if you want black tea you have to specify “Lipton” because tea can mean Lipton, milo, or Nestcafe. It comes with a lot of Nestle crème/milk, and a healthy dose of sugar (ie: dentists beware!) It took some getting used to, but now I’m hooked!


Eggbread
The best way to describe it is an omlette Panini, only better. It’s extra delicious when they use guinea fowl eggs in addition to fowl eggs. The company where I eat my eggbread is also top-notch!


TZ For Breakfast
If (when) there is TZ leftover from dinner, they eat it for breakfast.


LUNCH

My most favourite lunch
This is my favourite lunch. A grilled plantain (30 peswas) and a small package of groundnuts (peanuts) (10 peswas!). It’s best with an Alvaro, a new malt-based drink here that comes in pear or pineapple flavours.


Dege or Yogurt with Couscous (enough for lunch!)
Dege – yogurt from Burkina with couscous in it!


DINNER

TZ
My stable dinner that comes with a variety of soups and stews – all vegetarian
-picture to come!

Yam with Tomato stew
– amazingly delicious!


Rice balls with ground nut soup
-picture to come!

Frafra Potatoes
One day I was presented this as a gift,


Fufu
Fufu is eaten in some places, and is delicious, however I’ve only been lucky enough to try it a few times.


SNACKS
Bumbara Beans
-pic to come

Fresh ground nuts! (also fun to play in!)


Fulani Milk
This is a favourite of mine from the market, Fulani milk and yogurt. Fulani are nomads of Ghana who sell their milk at markets. I buy the milk and make a hot drink, while my family prefers the yogurt with plenty of sugar and millet flour.


Bon Appétit!

3 comments:

  1. so glad you are enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. check this out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFhruMRfcM

    and this!
    http://www.congocookbook.com/staple_dish_recipes/fufu.html

    you can make it for us Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again... another blog with similar posts to yours.
    http://sarah-in-ghana.blogspot.com/2006/08/really-eating-like-ghanaian.html

    ReplyDelete